How to find or how to discover your purpose in life. It sounds simple, but a lot of people are struggling to do it. Why is it important to have a strong purpose in life? Why are people not getting it?
Let us start with a great quote from Napoleon Hill.
Your success in life starts with a clear purpose in life. If you don’t have a clear purpose in life, it means you don’t know what you want from life. It means you don’t know how to get what you want from life. It means you don’t even know how to get to where you are going in life.
Napoleon Hill famously said, “Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement, and its lack is the stumbling block for ninety-eight out of every hundred people simply because they never really define their goals and start toward them.”
To be successful life, you must first define what you want from life. You must have a clear reason why you are here on earth. But if you don’t define what you want, how can you get there?
You have to know what you are looking for, and do everything you can to get it done. Don’t just talk about what you want, work to get it done.
Napoleon Hill said, “Definiteness is the major difference between a scientist and a drifter.” If you continue to change your mind, if you don’t take action to change your life, you are planning to fail. You have to have a clear plan if you are to move forward in life. As the saying goes, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” In order to stop that, you must stick to your goals, your plans, your purpose, and your dreams.
People fail in life because they don’t have a clear purpose. They talk about what they want, but they don’t take action to make their talk a reality. Know this: nothing will change unless you change. Your life will be the same unless you change. To succeed in life, you need to be clear about what you want to accomplish in life. If you know what you want, the job is half done.
Why Purpose Matters
- Purpose will inspire you to pursue your goals in life
- Your purpose is the real you. It represents your identity
- Purpose helps you separate your job from who you really are
- Purpose is a motivator
- Purpose is your resource center.
- Purpose is your lens. You see the world through your purpose.
- Purpose gives you strengths to face anything in life
- You express your values through your purpose.
To find your purpose in life, here are some suggestions for you to explore:
- Follow your passion. If you really want to find your purpose in life, it is time to start doing that thing you have always been talking about. It is not going to be easy, but it is better than not trying it
- Focus on one thing at a time. If you want to explore your purpose in life, it will serve you well if you can focus on one thing at a time. Because if you focus on so many things at the same time, you won’t really understand any of them. Your goal is to know what you want in life, not to play with your time.
- Don’t let people decide for you. If you allow this to happen, you will never find your purpose in life. Why? Because whatever you end up doing does not represent who you are. If you really want to find your purpose in life, be in control of your life. If you delegate your life to someone else, you will live someone else’s dreams. Do you want to do that?
- Concentrate on what you are doing right now. It could be that you are already working in your God given career. Whatever it is that you are doing right now, see if you can make it better to fit your purpose in life. If not, move on.
- Don’t dwell in the past. We all make mistakes. Don’t let your yesterday’s mistakes steal your life away from you. Yesterday is gone. Focus on today, not on yesterday. If you waste your time on yesterday’s problems, you will miss today’s opportunities. If you don’t want your tomorrow to be better than today, focus on what you are doing right now. Your future will be better.
- Listen to your inner director. If you want the real answers that you have been looking for, look inside for solutions to finding your purpose in life. People fail because they look outside for solutions. If you want to find your purpose in life, look inside, not outside.
Find your purpose in life, stick to it, and make it a reality.